Sunday, May 1, 2011

Take Heart

This past week has been the week of homestays. Kara and I spent the week with Clive and Lucy in Ocean View, South Africa. We would go to school at the Bible Institute or on our field trips to Table Mountain and Robben Island during the day and then we would go home to them every night at 5:30pm. Everything about their home and their sweet care towards us and their way of life reminded me so much of Papa Chuck and Grandma Lois and their home in Illinois. I felt right at home the entire week. We went there the day after Good Friday and the following day was my 22nd birthday. I was a little nervous at first because I had just met them and I was not sure how my birthday was going to turn out with total strangers other than Kara, but it was amazing! When I got there, I discovered that Clive (the father of the house) and I had the same exact birthday! What are the odds?! He turned 59 and I turned 22…. Just a few years apart. ☺ Our birthday also fell on Easter, which was absolutely amazing. We got to share our special day with the day that Jesus conquered death so that we may spend eternity with Him. The whole day, I kind of considered the resurrection as my own personal birthday gift. Jesus rose for me. And you, and you, and you, but on that day this year, I felt like it was for me. Haha. Clive and Lucy are Catholics, so we went to a Catholic church… one of the most unique Easter services I have ever been to, but most definitely memorable. We had holy water literally splashed on us and everything. Then we came home and had a bunch of family over. Great birthday! I would have liked to of spent it with my family, but it was most definitely nice to be with a family on my birthday and Easter. My family even sent me a little birthday box with individually wrapped gifts and everything!!! :) The box itself was even wrapped with "Happy Birthday" wrapping paper. I love my family! :)






On Tuesday, we hiked the Cape Town attraction, Table Mountain, and we conquered it! There were times I literally thought I was going to die, or I would have liked to die, but we made it! On the way up, I felt like we were doing a permanent stair master workout. For the most part, we hiked up stairs that were made out of rocks. The view behind us was beautiful, but it was hard to admire it because we were all so focused on the feet in front of us or the steps in front of us. During the hike, it rained, the sun shone, and it rained some more. Way too much stinking rain! And then we finally reached the top of the mountain, about 2 hours later…I thought I would have this feeling of victory, but instead, the rain began to pour down, okay so maybe it was a sprinkle. By this point though, I realized that I had only worn a thin hoodie and shorts and my legs were freezing. My hands were swollen and the sprinkles began to come and the wind began to blow. I felt like we had just landed on the moon. It was terrible! Haha. Then we walked over to the edge of the cliff and the clouds were bombarding the entire view. We were literally in a fog. I was so upset. And cold. And then the sun began to shine a little more on us and the clouds began to blow away. Then it was beautiful. At that moment, I realized it was all worth it. The view was beautiful. God is good. What an Artist! The view of Cape Town and the ocean surrounding us was so amazing. Then we decided it was time to go get over-priced hot chocolate at the restaurant on top of the mountain. I burnt my tongue, but I was so cold that I didn’t even realize it till later. Most of the group took the cable car back down, but I chose to go with about ten people or so and walk down the treacherous cliff. The entire way down, our legs were fatiguing and I thought I was going to fall forward and knock all my teeth out. But we made it down the cliff!!! We’re all alive! Thank You, Jesus! The view on the way down was absolutely beautiful! Since we were facing the view, it was easier to take in its beauty as opposed to hiking up the mountain and staring at the feet in front of us. It was quite the feat, but I do not plan on doing it again in my lifetime. It has been checked off my bucket list! ☺ Thank You, Jesus, for giving me the strength to conquer that mountain!
















Take Heart by Hillsong:

“There is a light
It burns brighter than the sun
He steals the night
And casts no shadow
There is hope
Should oceans rise and mountains fall
He never fails

So take heart
Let His love lead us through the night
Hold on to hope
And take courage again

In death by love
The fallen world has overcome
He wears the scars of our freedom
In His Name
All our fears are swept away
He never fails

All our troubles
And all our tears
God our hope
He has overcome

All our failure
And all our fear
God our love
He has overcome
All our heartache
And all our pain
God our Healer
He has overcome

All our burdens
And all our shame
God our freedom
He has overcome

All our troubles
And all our tears
God our hope
He has overcome

All our failures
And all our fear
God our love
He has overcome

God our justice
God our grace
God our freedom
He has overcome

God our refuge
God our strength
God is with us
He has overcome”


Reflection on Robben Island
This morning, we got up an hour early so that we could make the 9am boat to Robben Island. I thought the hour early would not be worth it, but it most definitely ended up being worth it. We took a bus to the boat and then we boated across what I believe to be the Atlantic Ocean to Robben Island and hopped in another bus to tour the island. After hiking Table Mountain, I did not mind not being able to walk at all, since I seriously thought I was going to die of fatigue yesterday. The island was absolutely beautiful! I know the island does not host prisoners on it anymore, but if it still did and I were a prisoner, I would have liked to be a prisoner on that island. The island is surrounded by the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and it has a beautiful view of Cape Town and Table Mountain. The island has a prison on it that used to host black male political prisoners. Nelson Mandela, the president of South Africa who abolished apartheid in 1994 was a prisoner on the island from 1964-1990.
While on the island, we had the chance to tour the prison, all the various churches, the houses where the guards lived, and the beautiful viewpoint on the tip of the island that faces Cape Town and all of its beauty. When we saw Nelson Mandela’s cell, it was shocking to see how tiny it was. The place he had stayed for the 27 years he was in prison – a tiny cell. Cell number 46664. I found it extremely weird that his cell number had three “6”s in it. If I were him, I would have kindly asked to be transferred to a cell with many “7”s in it and no “6”s. I found it extremely cool to see the place that all the people who desired to destroy the negative side of the government would stay. Nelson Mandela may have been in prison for 27 years, but when he got out in 1990, he then proceeded to become president in 1994 and he abolished apartheid completely.
Change may not happen overnight, but I would say that Mandela’s 27 years were most definitely worth it since he abolished the apartheid once he took office. What a legacy to leave. Mandela may be in his early nineties and not currently in the best state of health, but he lived a life that was worth living. From what I have observed while being here in South Africa, he made changes in the government and the way the country is ruled that no one thought was possible. I thoroughly enjoyed touring the island and getting the chance to see all of its beauty and loveliness, even though all it really has on it is a prison. To me, the prison was more than just a prison. To me, the prison was a place that one of the greatest men in South Africa’s history paid his time and still did not give up on his cause of destroying the apartheid. The 27 years in prison may have been meant to break Mandela’s spirit, but if anything, it made him more passionate about his cause because the people for the apartheid clearly saw him as a threat. Today was a good day. Thank You, Jesus, for this chance I have had to explore the history of South Africa.
















Random thought: the lighthouse on Robben Island made me think. I would like to be a lighthouse in this world. If I ever stop shining, I pray that God may relight my fire and cause me to see the purpose for my life, so that I may never lose track of what He would have me do here on this earth. I long to live my life in such a way that when I meet my Savior face to face, He will say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” And if I ever lose sight of Jesus on my path, I pray that He will never cease to get my attention and draw me back to Himself.


We said goodbye to our homestay families today. I will always remember Clive and Lucy and the way they opened their homes and hearts to us for the week. Clive and I got to ride camels right there in Ocean View while Kara went shark cage diving on Saturday. So much fun! It was both of our first times riding camels! I also cooked breakfast for the three of us on Saturday morning! I made scrambled eggs for the first time in my life. I confessed to them after they told me they loved them that it was my first time. I have always seen them made, but I had never made them myself before that day. :) Success! I will miss Clive and Lucy and their family terribly, but I am ready to love on my own family this week. We will be staying in a hotel in Cape Town for the next three nights, reorienting ourselves, thinking back on all our memories here in this country, and saying goodbye to beautiful South Africa. I will most definitely miss this country, its beauty, and the loving people I have encountered. God has blessed me with the last 15 weeks here and I will always remember them.










2 comments:

  1. Very Cool!!!
    You can come home & make us scrambled eggs!!! haha!

    You are a light house Kelly!!!! I know HE has AWESOME plans for you!
    Jesus loves your heart! (& so do I)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly! We sing this song "Take Heart" at church now!!!! I LOVE IT!!
    & I LOVE the song "Search My Heart"!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete